NOW AVAILABLE!

NOW AVAILABLE!
A HERO'S SPARK: the final book in the Wicked Women series!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Will a new cover mean new sales?

Good afternoon!

So recently I got my rights to my first novel, Dream in Color from the original publisher, the Wild Rose Press.  We parted on very good terms, and I highly recommend submitting your first romance novel to them if you are ready to do so.

But in getting back my rights, I lost the cover art.  So I had to get new cover art and since I didn't feel like paying someone else to do my cover art, I went and did it myself: 


 
A front and back cover, and I did it on my own!  I was pretty impressed.   But what impressed me more is that, while sales for Dream haven't exactly made me independently wealthy, I have in the last month, outsold what I did all last year for this book.
 
Was it the cover art, I wondered, or the lower price?  Or both?
 
So I went to my second novel, Lies in Chance. I loved that cover art, but sales were very, very slow.  So I thought I'd spice it up a bit and see what happened.  This one took a lot more work because it's a much more complicated story and because I really wanted to capture the essence of the book.  And because I had no idea what I was doing  
 
Front cover.

Back cover.

I love it.  But does it mean more sales?  I thought the first cover was awesome, but readers didn't gravitate toward the book.  I'm hoping this is a bit more attractive.  I won't know for a while, since it just went live late yesterday.

The other thing I'm wrestling with is "To Kindle Select or NOT to Kindle Select."

Common sense says not to put all your eggs in one basket.  But reality is, I'm selling books on Amazon, and I'm not selling books too many other places.  In fact, the only thing I've managed to get on the Barnes and Noble website is a negative review talking about how the characters are too likable to be real...and how the book needs proofreading.  The funny part is...the author of said review misspelled at least two things.  I love irony.

So do new covers mean new sales?

I can't wait to find out!

(Oh, and lest we forget, I have a third novel out...Fresh Ice and I have no intention of changing the art on that one! 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sarah, I loved your old cover for Dream in Color, but I love this new one, too. Great job on both it and Lies In Chance!!

    One bit of advice I'd give make sure your title is nice and big, as well as your name so they're easy to read in a small thumbnail on Amazon, ect.

    And I agree on not changing Fresh Ice. It's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey! I agree with you on the title and author name...my issue is...that's as big as I could get the font on my computer. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete