NOW AVAILABLE!

NOW AVAILABLE!
A HERO'S SPARK: the final book in the Wicked Women series!

Monday, September 21, 2009

Go back to start!

Good afternoon!

It's the waning moments of my work day and Bossman is done harrassing me be phone, and a rerun of "King of Queens" keeps going through my mind, so I have the urge to share!

If you're not familiar with the show, this is going to be dull, but if you're a fan, you'll recall the episode where Doug and Carrie were having a hard time finding private time because Arthur slept all day and then wanted to do things when they got home from work. Like a really, really wrinkled ten year old. So Arthur got this board game "El Backo," which, while they never truly explain the rules, seemed to the viewer like the MOST PAINFUL BOARDGAME EVER!

I'm a big fan of board games, but there are some where the rules are so complex or the time frame is so endless that you simply can't stand it. That was "El Backo." All day long, I hear Arthur's voice (As done by the wonderful Jerry Stiller) "BACK TO STAH-ART!"

And that's what this past weekend was for me. I went back to start. I have been in a slump for the last couple months, so I got myself back to the place where I started to really, really find my writing voice. I joined a group. And What a group! My dear friend Linda has been a member for some time, and I love spending time with Linda, so joining this group of folks The Mad City Romance, was a no brainer for me. And being in a room of writers who all have the same struggles I have, and who all have different levels of success was amazing. It reminded me of those first days in the Waukesha Park and Rec group when I hadn't a clue what a Query letter was, but I met folks like Elliott, who has two blogs that I follow here, and Betsy, who is a very talented women currently giving it her all to organize the WisRWA conference next June.

Seeing a room full of writers reminded me of the joy I have in writing. And it reminded me, too, that in the last two months I've allowed too much real life to pile in front of my writing. We all do it, but it was time for me to get out of that rut and "GO BACK TO STAH-ART!"

So my friends, I start a new week in a different place, and hopefully, hopefully that means I'll move forward in life's great game of "El Backo!"

Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday to David James Elliott! You know him as Harmon Rabb, Jr. from JAG, but he's currently popping up in movies and mini series up and down the dial. I follow a wonderful blog just for DJE, check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Being part of a group was quite helpful, and if I can get off my proverbial buttocks and work on something longer than a puff piece about my midlife crisis, I might look for a group down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a talented writer, Elliott, I hope you do! Can't wait to read more of your work!

    ReplyDelete