NOW AVAILABLE!

NOW AVAILABLE!
A HERO'S SPARK: the final book in the Wicked Women series!

Monday, February 7, 2011

New excuses for not writing in this high tech world...

Good morning!

I know, I can't believe I'm blogging this morning either!  After a great Green Bay Packers Superbowl win last night I can't believe I'm awake!  However, real life does not stand still, as we all know.  I still have the job, I still have the kids and they still have school.  So here I am.

A couple of notes on upcoming events:

1)  I will be guest blogging at a couple of very fine places in the next week. 

2/13  Long and Short reviews I'm taking part in their Valentine's Day event.

2/13  Goddess Fish Promotion Party Pavilion  I will also be taking part in their Valentine's Day event, there I'll be talking about Ramona and Jesse's first kiss in Dream in Color. 

3/22 and 3/23  I've got my friend and fellow Wild Rose Press author  Kelly Moran doing a two day guest blog for me to promote her fantastic new novel, "Summer's Road."


So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Now, on to to the topic at hand.

When I got to work this morning, I realized, to my horror, that I'd left my flash drive and iPod at home.  OH NO!  How shall I write?

Then it hit me:  When did I get so tied to technology?  Why am I unable to write just because I don't have my flash drive?  When I started writing, 30 years ago, I used a pen, a notebook, and, when I was really lucky, a manual typewriter.  I wrote any time of the day or night.  I pretended to take notes in class and I wrote.  Have pen, will write!

I hear writers say all the time how they can't write because, "I can't write when the kids are up.  I can't write because someone's always at the computer.  I can't write because I have so many kids' games to watch.  I can't write because I need silence to work."

I've said many of the same things...and now I'm thinking that I've become a slave to the technology of writing.  I can't possibly write unless I'm typing.  I can't possibly write unless I have my soundtrack going.

Blah de blah blah.

Let's face it...using technology as an excuse to NOT write is just an excuse.  Real life gets in the way, we all know that.  And most of us have to work a paying job, again, we all know that.  But I'm honestly letting the fact that I don't have my flash drive stop me from writing?  Not a chance!

I have a goal, a very aggressive goal for a puzzle piece writer like I am.  I am going to finish the first draft of 7/8ths time by the end of February.  It's going to happen.  I've put it out there for all to read.

That might mean I have to carry a notebook everywhere.  That definitely means I have to be more organized, watch less TV, good on Face book way less.  But I'm going to do it!

Now, what are your goals?  What do you need to accomplish those goals?  To quote one of my favorite movies, Gladiator:  Imagine where you will be, and it will be so.

But I'm betting you'll need a notebook and a pen!

No comments:

Post a Comment