NOW AVAILABLE!

NOW AVAILABLE!
A HERO'S SPARK: the final book in the Wicked Women series!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sneak Peak Sunday! Fresh Ice

Good evening!  It's been a while since I popped a chapter out from my new work in progress  (due out this fall, Lord willing and the river don't rise...)

Remember, it's random!  (And, given how strict both my critique partners are being with me of late, it may not even get into the final draft, so enjoy it while you can!)


My timing could not suck more. Quinn sat in the narrow plane seat next to Benny and cursed himself, again, for the events of the previous night. I knew I was leaving on this trip. I knew it and I went ahead and opened that door anyway.

            Now I have a week away from her. A lifetime.

            “So Quinn you told me weeks ago that you were going to find a woman for me.” Benny drained the last of his diet cola. “Yet, here we sit, another trip, and you have come up with exactly no one and nothing. I’m starting to doubt your abilities in the romance department, my friend.”

            You’re not the only one.

            Quinn closed his eyes and felt Izzy against him, felt the heat of her soft skin. He tasted her lips.

            “Hey, Quinn? Earth to Quinn? We’ve landed, dude.”

            “What?”

            Benny yanked his carry on out of the overhead compartment. “Yeah, I asked about this magical woman you’re supposedly fixing me up with, and you went all space cadet on me. And now, we’re in San Jose.”

            “Oh, sorry.”

            “Yeah, whatever. The next time you want to just day dream about your sex life, warn me.”

            “What?”

            Benny shook his head. “I’ve known you for a long time. I know your sex daydream face. And you, my friend, were daydreaming big time. So who is she? It’s not Boss Lady, is it? Tell me it’s not her.”

            “Shut up Benny.”

            “Ooh, touchy. So it’s NOT the Boss Lady. The plot does thicken, doesn’t it?”

            “I’m not having this conversation.”

            “Not having what conversation? Bob sidled up to them.

            “Quinn was having a sex daydream about someone other than Boss Lady.”

            Bob laughed. “Well, we are in San Jose, which, if I’m recalling correctly, is the scene of some of your biggest conquests, Quinn.”

            Why would I think I could have a normal relationship with anyone? What decent woman would even allow me near them, if this is how my friends think of me?

            He couldn’t escape the image of Izzy, smiling at him. She would. And I left her. What kind of idiot am I?

            Without realizing it, Quinn had followed Benny and Bob through the airport to the street where they were calling for him to get into a cab. Quinn stared at the pair as if seeing them for the first time. “Guys I can’t do this.”

            “Quinn, it’s a cab. You get in, you close the door, and they drive you to a very nice hotel that will have a beautiful room service menu.” Benny called.

            “No, I mean, I have to go. I have to go home.”

            “Are you okay?”

            “Yeah, yeah Bob, I am. I’ll meet you guys on Friday, in the Twin Cities. I just…I have to go.”

            “Quinn?” Benny jumped out of the cab. “What the hell dude? You can’t just run out. You’ve got two games to do before we get to the Wild game on Friday.”

            “Cover for me Benny. Please?”

            Benny paused and smiled. “This must be a big deal, huh?”

            “The biggest.”

            “Okay. Okay. Bob and I will figure out something. But be in the Twin Cities on Friday.”

            “I promise.”

            “And Quinn?’

            “Find that woman for me, okay?”

            Quinn laughed. “I will Benny, I swear. But first I have to go see someone. And if she’ll talk to me, I might be able to find you someone really great.”

            “I’m going to hold you to that.” Benny got back into the cab.

            “I know.”

            “Boss Lady is going to be pissed that you went AWOL.”

            “I know that too.” Quinn waved as the cab pulled away from the curb. Without another thought, he went into the airport and booked a flight home

No comments:

Post a Comment