NOW AVAILABLE!

NOW AVAILABLE!
A HERO'S SPARK: the final book in the Wicked Women series!

Monday, June 25, 2012

A change of scene can clear out writer's block.

Good morning!

I've been suffering from a bit of writer's block over the last few weeks...

It's not uncommon.  As writers, we hit patches where our brains are blank and our stories don't seem to be going anyplace.  Some writers will simply start a new project until they get inspired to go back.  I'm one of those people who will simply stop writing until the words come back to me.  Probably NOT the most healthy way to write a book, but it's how I've been doing it for forever.

This past weekend, we traveled to Asheville, North Carolina, for my niece's wedding.  I was excited because much of Fresh Ice is set in the South, so I was hoping to get inspired.

A writer's haven...who knew?
I was not disappointed.

After our first stop at a Waffle House, my creative juices started bubbling and thank goodness I brought the laptop along.  I was able to fix the first couple chapters and I took a lot of notes so that today, while I'm off of work, I can write to my little heart's content.  (Laundry?  What laundry?)
Who wouldn't be inspired by this view?

All I needed was a change of scenery.  I needed to be away from my goat path of work, laundry, dishes, kids.  I needed my mind to be free of all that.

So I guess if you're blocked...get in the car and just start driving.  Eat at places named "FOOD"  or "EAT."  Talk to people who have different accents than you do.

Buy earrings from a shop that touts "pottery, paintings, jewelry, and SOCKS."

Do something you don't ever do, and watch your writer's block fizzle.

And now, I'm off to WRITE!

No comments:

Post a Comment